The Digestive System
Continuing our study of human body systems, we took a journey through the digestive system, exploring the ins and outs from beginning to end!
Through this enrichment unit about the digestive system, the students will:
- Understand that a collection of organs, each with individual functions, work together to perform the collective function of digesting food, from the first bite to the end of the digestive system. Each part prepares for the next. The body obtains nutrients and energy from effective digestion.
- Describe the roles of each organ in the digestive process
- Order the organs and steps of the digestive process
- Differentiate between a chemical and a mechanical breakdown
- Visualize the size, length, thickness, and shapes of organs in the digestive system via models
- Identify “assistants” to digestion, including the pancreas, liver, gall bladder, and salivary glands
- Create a model of the “stomach” to gain an understanding of what happens to food as it mixes with gastric acid as stomach muscles contract and relax
- Participate in demonstrations with oatmeal and pantyhose showcasing the function of the small intestine and large intestine
- Take a virtual tour of the digestive system illustrating steps and organs of digestion with 3-D models
- Physically travel through a digestive system obstacle course to experience each stage of digestion as if they were the “food”
Visit the “Interesting Links” and "Career Corner" below to further explore the digestive system, learn more, explore related careers, and quiz yourself!
Your Digestive System
The Digestive System Quiz 1
Virtual Tour of the Digestive System