Franklin Lakes School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
New student registration continues for the 2022-23 school year.  To begin, select "New Student Registration" under Parent Tab on the District Website's homepage.
| Login Contact Us
Special Services » Pre-Referral Process

Pre-Referral Process

Intervention & Referral Services Team FAQ
What is the purpose of an I&RS team?
  • Identify learning, behavior and health difficulties of students.
  • Collect thorough information on the identified learning, behavior, and health difficulties.
  • Develop and implement action plans which provide for appropriate school or community interventions or referrals to school and community resources, based on the collected data and desired outcomes for the identified learning, behavior, and health difficulties.
  • Provide support, guidance, and professional development to school staff that identify learning, behavior, and health difficulties.
  • Provide support, guidance, and professional development to school staff that participate in each building's system for planning and providing intervention and referral services.
  • Actively involve parents or guardians in the development and implementation of intervention and referral services action plan.
Who is on the I&RS team?
  • Building Administrator
  • School Counselor
  • Teachers - General education, Interventionist, Special education
  • Member of the Child Study Team
  • Nurse
  • Speech/Occupational/Physical Therapist, if appropriate
  • Parent
Who can make a referral to the I&RS team?  How can I refer a student?
Teachers, Parents, Administrators, Interventionist.  If you feel that your child is struggling and would like more information or make a referral to the I&RS team, you can reach out to your child's teacher, the school counselor and/or the building principal.  
What typically happens at an I&RS meeting and what types of issues are discussed?
Meetings are held on a monthly basis where the team of teachers and staff discuss new student referrals and monitor the progress of students with I&RS plans.  New Action Plans are created for new referrals and are done so by incorporating current functional and relevant data, as well as suggestions from members of the team. Students previously referred are discussed; progress or lack of progress is noted; recommendations are made for changes, if any to existing Action Plans.  If necessary, recommendations are made to the Child Study Team or the building-based 504 team.
What types of issues are covered by the I&RS team?
  • Academic issues
  • Behavioral issues
  • Social and emotional issues
  • Health issues
What can I expect if I receive a letter that my child has been referred to the I&RS team?
  • Your participation as the child’s teacher or parent is important to allow for the most effective and informed process to help the child.  Your input and suggestions are valuable to this process.
  • You are invited to attend any I&RS meetings where you child is being discussed, and should bring any relevant information that would be beneficial to the conversation.  This can include: informal observations of student behavior/social/emotional well-being, medical diagnosis, outside evaluations, current family/home situations.
What types of interventions might be considered?
Interventions vary based on the specific needs of the students.  Some examples include:  seating accommodations, focusing cues, positive behavioral support strategies, counseling with the school counselor, modifications to work to meet learning needs, CSI instructional support.
Section 504 FAQ
What is a 504 plan?
A Section 504 Plan is a legal document falling under the provisions of the Rehabilitation Act provided to students with medical or other diagnoses that restricts one or more 'major life activities' who require additional support in the educational environment. Medical documentation may be needed to determine a student’s eligibility for a Section 504 Plan. 
What are 'major life activities'?
  • Caring for oneself
  • Performing manual tasks
  • Walking
  • Seeing
  • Hearing
  • Speaking
  • Breathing
  • Working
  • Learning
What should I do if I think my child qualifies for a 504 plan?
You should reach out to your child's teacher, the school counselor or the building principal.